Entries (RSS)

Saturday, September 13, 2008

The Grey Space - Horrorshow




As I've stated before, I'm really picky about my hip hop, to the extent I present to you the group "Horrorshow" out of Sydney Australia, with their debut album "The Grey Space", which i guess you could list as "new age rap" which is what they themselves call it, and i guess that fits for lack of a more to the point description or someone to list them as similar too. Though if I had to pin them down, I'd say its kind of like if the Boats did hip hop. And well, those of you who have been following us for awhile know just how much I love the boats and reserve comparison for those who truly deserve it. I'm not trying to sell you on it when I tell you right now, if you give this album a listen you WILL be blown away, there is no way around it.



This is one of those albums that just feels so awesome that you don't realize you've listened to the whole thing till you've come to the end, there are gems like "All Summer Long" that are just beautiful, a lovely uptempo blues hop track that lets the beat showcase just as much as the vocals, which I love, its like most of their songs honestly, a nice long mellow laid back bit of brilliance. Other major stand outs on this album are "Celapram" which has an incredible Jeff Buckley reference in it which made me roll back the player and listen to it afew times over just because of how it seemed together perfectly over the "ready or not" style eerie bassbeat, "Choose None" with rapper Just Enuf, a nice fast pace track that will have you nodding your head and turning it up because you'll just feel it. Other songs include the track "Days Past" which is just a beautiful jazz hop track thats got a great laid back beat that gets deep meaningful hip hop love story lyrics laid down over it, just amazing, its one of my favorites on the entire album, and believe me, finding a favorite was really hard to settle on. This whole disc is seriously full of gems, I'm not kidding, songs like "Dire Straits Pt. 1" which I could make a good argument for being the best rap song made this year, even though its only like 2 minutes and 30 seconds or so long. Both versions of "No Rides Left" are awesome beyond words, I love the flow, the piano beat, you couldn't believe this is their debut album with tracks like this, it shows awareness of having to have "radio style singles" that will get the masses hooked but not distort the album and its flow, not many artists do that, they'll just toss singles in and not care they don't fit the album's theme. It really is hard to not give you way to much of the album, but the rest I'll leave a mystery, after all, a fun album isn't as fun if you have a roadmap of what its gonna all be as you're doing it.



Now for the big question, do I think everyone will like this album? Yes, I think that this album, and more like it, should be more prominent in hip hop the world over, and should be given airplay, as to show the world that hip hop isn't all the horribly clitche violent "gangsta" stuff that gets forced down our throats. It shows that there is always room to grow and that hip hop is not dead as an artform, so yes, I believe that anyone, should they give it a listen will enjoy this. I know i did.

Sorry I couldn't find a video of them, but if you want a sample, their myspace has a fair amount of them to give you an idea.

Artist: Horrorshow
Homepage: http://www.elefanttraks.com
Myspace: http://www.myspace.com/horrorshowcrew
Album: The Grey Space
Genre: Hip Hop/Australian hip hop/D.I.Y Music/Blues Hop/New Age Rap/Jazz/Blues
Download: Here


----

BC

4 Peaple Showed Us Love:

Anonymous said...

damn man...this album really does kick ass.

Bez

Anonymous said...

awesome album guys. track two kick in awesome. favourite cd in my car. keep on rolling. peace

Daniel said...

This album is simply amazing. I'd just like to thank you for posting this, its great to see international people getting there hands on Sydney's finest!

Anonymous said...

If i happen to die anytime soon... I want Note To Self as my funeral song.