Entries (RSS)

Monday, March 19, 2007

Kate Klim: A First Look

In my line of work I meet alot of up and coming artists, its actually the better part of my job I think, keeps me alittle ahead of the wave and keeps me real. One of those artist I've gotten to meet was a woman by the name of Kate Klim, and if I may, I would like to talk about her for just afew minutes. Plus she fits in well with my weakness for female vocalists and female singer/songwriters... but thats a whole other thing.

I met Kate after a show she did in her current hometown of Boston Massachusettes just about 2 years ago, and is a joy to talk too, very funny, very open to people speaking of her music, and very easy on the eyes if you ask me. I only spoke to her for afew minutes but i could tell she had that something that was going to make her a star someday, a very Tori Amos/Vanessa Carlton/Amy Lee girl with a piano and a voice so frail and vulnerable, as well as eligant and beautiful. I've compiled 7 songs of hers i've been able to track down through various internet sources to show you just what I mean.

"breath me in" is a very lovingly crafted and sad song about a lover and looking back at their trubulent and unstable relationship, of how everytime she wants to leave and end things, with a touch, she returns to where they were.

"Give Me a Sign" is beautifully made song of longing for more from someone who has her entrauled with the very idea of them, but she is waiting for some sort of a sign that they feel the same for her, some of Kate's greatest bridges in this one, "give me a sign, give a fighting change, I want this way to bad to change my mind, and this is our song, and i've waited all night to dance, but darlin I'm running out of borrowed time."

"I Choose Me" is an upbeat guitar laced song that makes you tap your feet even if you don't realise you are, its about looking back at childhood and thinking how things have changed and how instead of a young love, she choses to be herself and to live her life. This is one of Kate's more upbeat and uplifting tracks, and one of her few non-piano driven ones, a very nice stand out.

"Heaven Help Me" is a very open song of love and how she is trying not to fall for someone because she knows deep down just how bad it will be for her, she goes on about trying to fight it inside but she just can't. This is the very first song that Kate played infront of a crowd at a professional singer its said.

"Jacob" is about Kate looking back at the first boy she's ever loved, how they grew up together and how she would follow him where ever he would go and her looking back and wondering what he's up to now that they're older and have drifted appart because of his moving away. Its a happy and somewhat bittersweet song about how innocent love is when we are young and how meaningfull it can be when you look back at it years alter.

"Nothing" is a small song that is a sad song about sitting alone and missing someone she loves with all that she has inside of her, this is where the best line she has ever writen in it "anyone can say I love you, only I can say I miss you.", though its very short, its a very deep and meaningfully tocuhing song, your heart literally breaks as you listen to it.

"Something" seems to be a continuation of "Nothing" just with the line "something" and afew other lines added, i'm not really sure what the deal is with that, but it still has that same heartbreaking feel as "Nothing" I think maybe she ment to put them out as two different versions of the same song, but I can't seem to find any actual backing up of this to be sure.

I find that though most would lable Kate as depressing or emo, she isn't, she is reaching out through her saddness and other feelings and trying to touch on places that many are scared to admit we have for various reasons, that part of ourselves that is flair and scared and vulernable, those places we try to protect from others, Kate puts them out for display and shows us all that its ok to do so and to feel these things.

I'd highly recommend her to anyone thats up for something soulsearching, deep and will hit just abit close to home.

Artist: Kate Klim
Album: N/A
Genre: Singer/Songwriter, Indie Pop, Female Vocalist

Kate Klim: A FIrst Look


by: BC

0 Peaple Showed Us Love: